ARCHITECTURE AND MODERN INFORMATION TECHNOLOGIES
INTERNATIONAL ELECTRONIC SCIENTIFIC - EDUCATIONAL JOURNAL ON SCIENTIFIC-TECHNOLOGICAL AND EDUCATIONAL-METHODICAL ASPECTS OF MODERN ARCHITECTURAL EDUCATION AND DESIGNING WITH THE USAGE OF VIDEO AND COMPUTER TECHNOLOGIES
||CREATING AND USING 3D CITY MODELS
||Wolfgang Dokonal, Department of Urbanism, Graz University of Technology, Graz, Austria
City modelling is a topic which has been on the agenda for a long time and two main approaches from different angles in this field can be identified. GIS experts have attempted over the years (in collaboration with programmers) to build information systems for cities by means of combining graphical information with related metadata. Architects also started to get involved in this field. Most of them came out of academia and they were mainly interested in the spatial aspects of a city model. So they created their own “city models” for different purposes in different ways. Today crucial questions concerning the creation of a city model are resolved. The question is no longer “How to do a city model?” but “What to do with it?” The visions of the automatic generation of the 3D geometry of a city out of high resolution digital aerial images are a reality now. It shifted away from academia into the “real world” and into the “real cities”.
These new developments decreased the cost for creating and maintaining a 3D city model of a complete city significantly. But still there is a substantial amount of money necessary in this field so the cost/benefit analysis must be clearly visible. This paper wants to give an overview about current applications and uses in this field.
The implementation into daily work becomes more and more important. The question: “what to do” with all the accumulated data and the benefits out of a 3D city model are shown with examples (Graz and Vienna city models).
||city modelling, collaborative modelling, digital design, architectural education
- Lehtonen, H., 1985. On the principles of visualisation of planning. Espoo, Technical Research Centre of Finland, Laboratory of Land Use. Report available from the Laboratory.
- Danahy, J. W. and R. Wright, 1988. Exploring Design through 3-Dimensional Simulations, Landscape Architecture, 78(5), pp. 64-71.
- Sheppard, S. R. J., 1989. Visual Simulation: A User's Guide for Architect, Engineers, and Planners, New York, Van Nostrand Reinhold.
- Batty, M., 1992. Urban modeling in computer-graphic and geographic information system environments, Environment and Planning B, Planning and Design 19, pp. 663-688.
- Decker, J., 1992. Computers as tools for analysis of urban spaces, Technological support for comprehensive urban design theories, Cities, 9(3), pp 170-176.
- Decker, J., 1993. Simulation methodologies for observing large-scale urban structures, Landscape and Urban Planning, 26, pp. 231-250.
- Hall, A., 1993. The use of computer visualisation in planning control, An investigation of its utility in selected examples, Town Planning Review, 64(2), pp. 193-212.
- McCartney, K., Ismail, A. and Rhodes, P. A; 1993. Multimedia City Model for Environmental Impact Assessment and Public Consultation source, eCAADe Conference Proceedings, Eindhoven (The Netherlands) 11-13 November.
- Dave, B. and G. Schmitt, 1994. Information systems for urban analysis and design development, Environment and Planning B, Planning and Design, 21, pp. 83-96.
- Day, A., 1994. From Map to Model, the Development of an Urban Information System, Design Studies, 15, pp. 366-384.
- Klosterman, R. E., 1994. An Introduction to the Literature on Large-scale Urban Models, Journal of the American Planning Association, 60(1), pp. 41-44.
- 12. Klosterman, R. E., 1994. Large-scale Urban Models, Retrospect and Prospect, Journal of the American Planning Association, 60(1), pp. 3-6.
- Lee, D. B., 1994. Retrospective on Large-Scale Urban Models, Journal of the American Planning Association, 60(1), pp. 35-40.
- Wegener, M., 1994. Operational Urban Models, State of the Art, Journal of the American Planning Association, 60(1), pp. 17-29.
- Day, A. and A. Radford, 1995. Imaging Change, The Computer City Model as a Laboratory for Urban Design Research, The Global Design Studio, Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Computer Aided Architectural Design Futures, National University of Singapore, Singapore, 24-26 September, 1995, Centre for Advanced Studies in Architecture, National University of Singapore, pp. 495-506.
- Liggett, R., and Jepson, W., 1995. An integrated environment for urban simulation, Environment and Planning B, 22, pp. 291-305.
- Shiffer, M. J., 1995. Environmental review with hypermedia systems, Environment and Planning B, Planning and Design, 22, pp- 359-372.
- Kirkby, S. D., S. E. P. Pollitt, P. W. Eklund, T. Coulson and S. Ratcliffe, 1996. An Interactive 3D GIS Urban Planning Model. 28th International Geographical Congress, The Hague, 4-10 August, 4-10.
- Kirkby, S. D., S. R. Jacobs and R. Flint, 1996. Using 3D GIS to Model Urban Planning Scenarios for the City of Adelaide. Revitalising Town and City Centres, 8th International Malls Conference, Adelaide, Australia, 16-17 September.
- Woodbury, R., G. Braithwaite - Woodbury, K. Spassov, A. Radford and R. Sweeting, 1996. A Pilot Study of 3D Computer Modelling of Development Applications and Assessment of Software Applications for Use in Computer Modelling. Report to The Corporation of the City of Adelaide, by Luminis Pty Ltd on behalf of Adelaide University, June.
- Bourdakis, V., 1997. The Future of VRML on Large Urban Models. The 4th UK VRSIG Conference.
- Braithwaite, G., A. Radford, E. Huang, T. W. Chang, D. Jones, R. Woodbury and R. Sweeting, 1997. The computer modelling of development proposals, a routine part of development control. CAADRIA '97, Proceedings of the second Conference on Computer Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia, National Chioa Tung University, Taiwan, April 17-19, 1997, Hu's Publisher Inc., Taipei, pp.123-132.
- Batty, M., M. Dodge, S. Doyle and A. Smith, 1998. “Modelling virtual urban environments.” Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis, University College London. Working Paper Series(Paper 1).
- Bourdakis, V., 1998. Navigation in Large VR Urban Models, in J. Heudin (ed.), Virtual Worlds - Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence 1434, Springer, Berlin, pp. 345-356.
- Day, A. K. and A. D. Radford, 1998. An overview of city simulation. CAADRIA '98, Proceedings of the third conference on Computer Aided Design and Research in Asia,
- Hall, T., 1998. “A Hypermedia format for development plans, A piolt study for Chelmsford.” Online Planning(May 1998), 3.
- Sullivan, A. C., 1998. “Urban Simulations.” Architecture (AIA) V.87(No.5), pp. 212-216.
- Brenner, C. & Haala, N., 1999. Towards Virtual Maps, On the Production of 3D City Models, GeoInformatics 2(5), 10–13.
- Brenner, C. & Haala, N., 1999. Rapid Production of Virtual Reality City Models, GIS - Geo-Informationssysteme 12(3), 22–28.
- Camara, A. S. and Raper, J. (Ed.), 1999, Spatial multimedia and virtual reality, London, Taylor & Francis.
- Ennis, G., Lindsay, M. and Grant, M., 1999. VRML possibilities, the evolution of the Glasgow model, Proceedings of International Conference on Virtual Systems and Multimedia – VSMM ‘99, Abertay University, Dundee.
- Brenner, C., 2000. Towards Fully Automatic Generation of City Models, in IAPRS Vol. XXXIII, Part B3/1, Comm. III [ISPRS Congress], pp. 85-92, .
- Dokonal, W., Martens, B. and Plösch, R., 2000. Graz, The Creation of a 3D City Model for Architectural Education, eCAADe 2000, Proceedings of the 18th Conference on Education in Computer Aided Architectural Design in Europe, Weimar, Germany, 22-24 June, 2000, eCAADe and Bauhaus-Universitat, Weimar, Germany, pp. 171-175.
- Dokonal, W., Martens, B. and Plösch, R., 2000. Architectural Education, Students Creating a City Model, Proceedings ACADIA 2000
- Dokonal, W., Martens, B. and Plösch, R., 2001. Continuing Work on a 3-D City Model for Architectural Education, Proceedings CAADRIA 2001, Sixth Conference on Computer Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia , Sydney 19-21 April 2001, pp. 319-322.
- Dokonal, W.; Martens, R.; Plösch, R., 2002. New Expectations, City Modeling in the Internet Age. - in, Proceedings of the 6th Iberoamerican Congress of Digital Graphics, S. 97 - 100
Iberoamerican Congress of Digital Graphics.
- Dokonal, W.; Martens, B.; Plösch, R. 2004. Creating and Using Virtual Cities,. - in, Architecture in the Network Society (2004), S. 580 – 585 ECAADE Conference
- Kós, J. R. et al., 2000. The city that doesn’t exist, Multimedia reconstruction of Latin American cities, IEEE internet computing, 7(2), pp. 12-16.
- Pietsch, S.M, 2000. “Simple Computer Visualisation, Three examples in planning practice”, eCAADe 2000, Proceedings of the 18th Conference on Education in Computer Aided Architectural Design in Europe, Weimar, Germany, 22-24 June, 2000, eCAADe and Bauhaus-Universitat, Weimar, Germany, pp. 139-142
- Raper, J., 2000. Multidimensional Geographic Information Science, London, Taylor & Francis.
- Pietsch, S. M., 2000. "Computer Visualisation in the Design Control of Urban Environments, A literature Review". Environment and Planning B, Planning and Design 27, pp. 521-536.
- Dave, B., 2001. Immersive Modeling Environments, Proceedings of ACADIA, Buffalo, New York (forthcoming).
- Voigt, A., Walchhofer, H.P., Kleiber, G., Petrov, B., Wittine, H., Donaucity, Wien (Computermodell), im Auftrag des Magistrates der Stadt Wien (MA21C), Wien
- Voigt, A., Walchhofer, H.P., Krebs, Ph., „Hochhausworkshop“ Wagramerstraße, Wien (Expertenvideo), im Auf¬trag des Magistrates der Stadt Wien (MA21C), Wien
- Voigt, A., Walchhofer; H.P. et al. 1994-1998. Die digitale Stadt - Computer Aided City Development (CACD) für Wien, mit Unterstützung der Wiener Wirtschaftskammer, Wien